In my practice I am governed by the
following qualities of the heart:
- Born into a family of medical doctors
in this beautiful European city.
- Graduated with Master’s degree in English Philology with French and Latin also having taken two years of philology related to my native tongue.
- Taught English in Europe.
- Loved my students and drove them home after classes despite martial Law being in effect.
- Came to this Canadian province in the 20th
century where dinosaurs used to roam free
to do my doctorate in comparative literature
- As a graduate student freelanced for the
French radio station.
- Covered Olympic Games figure skating competition in the
city whose hockey team was not able to beat my home
town team for the Stanley Cup, more than once…
- While working on my Ph.D:
- Decided to study law
- Taught modern drama and my native
language at the university
- Took eight months of Spanish as some of the
plays had not been translated into English
- Graduated with my Ph.D. on June 7, 1990 and
with my LL.B. on June 10, 1990
- Practiced primarily Family Law, Criminal Law
and Personal Injury.
- After fifteen years of practice I became deeply dissatisfied with the adversarial process which I viewed as ineffective, expensive and unable to solve my clients’ issues as well as failing to respond to the individuality of human experience.
- I embarked on new paths in search of humanizing solutions to my clients’ disputes by taking courses and developing interests in the following:
– Therapeutic Jurisprudence
– Collaborative Law
– Elder Mediation
– Psychology & Lawyering
– Facial Expression of Emotion
– Lawyers as Peacemakers & Teachers
– Neuroscience of Decision Making
– Contemplative Studies